[Note: All components in BOLD are loaned; all components in standard face are owned by me.]
The TIDAL Agoria Speakers with a pair of TIDAL Impulse monoblock amplifiers.
The Evolution Acoustics MM2 Loudspeakers with a pair of Audionet MAX monoblock amplifiers and the PRE G2 preamp on the Walker Audio Prologue Rack.
TIDAL Agoria loudspeakers; Evolution Acoustics MM2 loudspeakers with Wave Kinetics isolation feet; Nova Rendition II loudspeakers outfitted with Walker Audio Reference HDLs on the upper and lower bi-wires, and Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, all contacts treated with Walker Audio Extreme SST Contact Enhancer.
The Audionet PRE G2 Preamp.
The TIDAL Presencio stack with phono amp (top), line-level preamp (middle), and power supply (bottom) on the Stillpoints ESS Rack with Grid Shelves and Ultra 5 Isolation Feet (underneath the power supply).
TIDAL Presencio phono/line/power supply stack with TIDAL Impulse monoblock amplifiers; Audionet Pre G2 reference preamplifier, Audionet Max monoblock amplifiers, Audionet Pam G2 reference phono preamplifier with EPX power supply, ALO Studio Six tubed headphone amplifier with tubed Phono Stage section, new Walker Audio Procession Reference Phono Amplifier (11/14).
The brilliant Wave Kinetics NVS Direct-Drive Turntable with Durand Telos 12″ Composite Tonearm and Ortofon Anna MC on the Wave Kinetics Isolation Stand, resting on the Stillpoints ESS Reference Rack with Grid Shelves and Ultra 5 Isolation Feet.
Lloyd Walker’s exceptional Walker Audio Proscenium Black Diamond Level V Turntable on its Prologue Rack, with Peter Ledermann’s Soundsmith Hyperion MI Cartridge.
The Audionet PAM G2 Reference Phono Amplifier, powered by the Audionet EPX Reference Power Supply.
The Audionet MAX Monoblock Reference Amplifiers.
Digital: Merging Technologies NADAC 8-channel Quad DSD and PCM DAC, Lampizator Golden Gate Quad tubed DSD DAC; exaSound e28 Mk. II 8-channel Quad DSD/PCM DAC; Mytek Manhattan Quad DSD DAC and Preamp; Furutech STRATOS Quad DSD DAC; Marantz UD9004 Blu Ray/Universal Player; Merging Technologies HAPI Quad DSD ADDA with Pyramix 9.x DAW software on a dedicated Dell Precision 2800 i7 notebook with 8 GB RAM and 256GB SSD; Korg MR-2000S Double DSD-capable digital recorder.
The Merging Technologies NADAC MC-8 Ethernet-based eight-channel Quad DSD DAC on the Stillpoints ESS Reference Rack with Grid Shelves on the Stillpoints Ultra 5 Isolation Feet.
The LampizatOr Golden Gate Directly-Heated Triode Quad DSD DAC on the Stillpoints ESS Reference Rack, resting on Stillpoints Ultra 5 Isolation Feet.
The utterly seductive MESH 45 Directly-Heated Triode Tube on the LampizatOr Golden Gate Quad DSD DAC.
Analog: Walker Audio Proscenium Black Diamond Level V reference turntable system (upgraded to full Level V as of 06/02/14) with the Black Diamond Arm, Soundsmith Hyperion MI cartridge, and Silent Source Silver (as of 11/11/14) direct connection to the new Walker Audio Procession Reference Phono Amp (with the new Walker Audio Power Supply for the Procession, as of 06/02/14), Wave Kinetics NVS Turntable with Durand Telos Composite 12″ Tonearm and Ortofon Anna MC cartridge. KRONOS Pro Limited Edition Turntable with 12″ Black Beauty Tonearm and Airtight PC-1 Supreme MC. ATR Services Ampex ATR-102 open reel tape deck, Technics RS-1700 15ips reel-to-reel tape recorder, Revox B-77 Mk. II 15 ips half-track reel-to-reel tape recorder, Pioneer RT-707 7.5 ips quarter track reel-to-reel tape recorder, Nakamichi Dragon reference cassette deck.
Reeltronix reel on one of our reel-to-reel recorders
Stax SR-009 reference electrostatic headphones; JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266 reference headphones; Astell & Kern AKT8iE in-ear monitors; Audeze LCD-3 headphones with Audeze balanced and unbalanced cables, and cables by Double Helix (Component3 balanced and single-ended) and Nordost (Helmdall 2 balanced, single-ended, and 3.5mm), Oppo PM-1 headphones, Sennheiser HD800 headphones (balanced) with Cardas Clear Headphone Cable (2 meter) and Cardas Sennheiser connectors, and Cardas Balanced connectors, Cardas Clear Balanced-to-1/4″ stereo jack adapter, Double Helix Cables Complement3 balanced and single-ended cables, Blue Microphones MoFi powered headphones, JH Audio JH16 Pro In-Ear Monitor System, Cardas 5813 In-Ear Monitors.
Stax SRM-007tII Vacuum reference tube headphone amplifier; eXemplar audio reference headphone amp; Astell & Kern AK-380 DSD DAC/Headphone Amp with Quad DSD playback in Native mode; Astell & Kern CD-Ripper; ALO Studio Six reference tubed headphone amplifier; Oppo Digital HA-1 headphone amplifier and Quad DSD DAC; ALO Audio Continental DSD DAC and headphone amp; Aurender FLOW DSD DAC and headphone amp; Teac HA-P90SD DSD DAC and headphone amp; Ray Samuels SR-71B portable headphone amplifier (balanced and unbalanced connections).
Interconnects by Kubala-Sosna Research, TARA Labs, Skogrand Cables, Synergistic Research, Cardas, JENA Labs, Silent Source, Evolution Acoustics, Harmonic Technology, Stereovox, Black Cat, and Linn. Speaker cables by Kubala-Sosna Research, TARA Labs, Skogrand Cables, JENA Labs, Cardas, Silent Source, and Linn. Power cables by Purist Audio, Kubala-Sosna Research, TARA Labs, Skogrand, Furutech, JENA Labs, Cardas, Evolution Acoustics, First Impression Music, Silent Source, DH Labs, First Impression Music, and VansEvers.
The Kubala-Sosna XPander Power Distribution Unit
Synergistic Research system enhancements, including Atmosphere ATM, HFT’s, MiG 2.0 isolation feet with HFT, Grounding Block, and Black Box; two (2) Stillpoints ESS Racks with grid shelves and Ultra 5 isolation feet, Ultra 5 speaker isolation feet; Walker Audio Prologue Rack, Walker Audio Prologue Turntable Stand, Walker Audio Prologue Amplifier Stands, Walker Audio Valid Points and Valid Points tuning kits, two Walker Audio Velocitor SS Power Line Enhancers on Velocitor Stands, one Walker Audio Velocitor Power Line Enhancer on a Velocitor Stand (line conditioning for Walker Audio Proscenium turntable system), KLaudio CD-CLN-LP 200 Ultrasonic LP Cleaner with Silencer sonic enclosure, KLAudio Automatic LP Loader for their Ultrasonic LP Cleaner, with 7″ and 10″ record adapters; Furutech Demaga LP/SACD/CD/Blu Ray/DVD/cable demagnetizer; Furutech DF-2 LP flattener, Vibraplane turntable isolation platform, Black Diamond Racing “The Shelf” and cones, Dedicated Audio Cable Tower cable supports, VPI 17F LP cleaning system with the latest Walker Prelude Record Cleaning System (11/2011 edition), Walker Audio Extreme SST Contact Enhancer (2011), Walker Audio Ultra Vivid SACD/DVD/CD enhancer (improved formulation, 06/2009), Walker Audio Talisman LP/disc De-static device, Furutech DeStat II static neutralizer, Furutech RD-2 SACD/DVD/CD demagnetizer, Stein Music DE-2 CD/SACD degausser and DE-3 LP Conditioner, Furutech DeMag LP/SACD/DVD/CD degausser, Furutech SK-II Electrostatic Brush, Audioquest Anti-Static Record Cleaning Brush, Cen-Tech Analog Sound Level Meter, KAB Speed Strobe turntable strobe measurement system, hifi4music Digistrobo turntable strobe measurement system, acoustical treatments by Walker Audio, ASC and NuCore, Kubala-Sosna XPander Power Distribution Unit, PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant P10, Walker Audio Black Diamond Room Tuning Crystals kit.
The KLAudio KD-CLN-LP200 Ultrasonic Record Cleaner with its LP Loader option, automatically cleaning up to 5 LPs at a time.
My listening room is of irregular shape, being 12.5′ wide x 13.5′ long in the right section, and 18′ long in the left (equipment) section, with a ceiling height of 8′. It is cambered left and right, with no perpendicular edge on the sidewalls to ceiling transition. Construction was done with 2″ x 6″ studs, wall-within-a-wall on the left and right sides (media storage in a room to the left, equipment storage in a room to the right). The room is on the second floor, directly over the garage—no competing sounds. The neighborhood is quiet, being located on top of a hill some 500 feet above the valley below, the listening room faces south, away from the main access road.
Power to components in the listening room is fully dedicated. 10 gauge Romex was pulled directly from the panel, all from the same pole to avoid ground loops. Four 20 amplifier runs were done, and Tesla Flex and JENA Labs cryo-treated AC receptacles were installed. All lights and peripheral components are on separate circuits. Circuits have been tested for proper ground and polarity.
Robinson’s Home Theater System
- Linn Kisto Controller
- Linn 5125 5.1 channel amplifiers (x 2, 5 channel bi-amped configuration)
- Linn Akurate 242 L/R front channel speakers
- Linn Akurate 225 center channel speaker
- Linn Akurate 212 L/R rear channel speakers
- Linn Melodik subwoofer
- Synergistic Research Atmosphere ATM, HFT’s, MiG 2.0 isolation feet with HFT, Grounding Block, and Black Box
- Sony HAP Z1ES Double DSD Music Server with Xperia Pad remote control
- Paradigm SUB 25 reference subwoofer
- All HDMI cables by Furutech
- Mitsubishi SD-HD2000U D-VHS/S-VHS digital HD VCR
- Panasonic TH-65PX600U 65″ plasma HD TV (1080p)
- Furutech Daytona 303 AC Line Filter (two units)
- Furutech 20 amplifier duplex AC receptacles (x2)
- Cables by Furutech, DH Labs, Cardas, Linn, and JENA Labs
- Oppo BDP-105 Darbee Edition Blu Ray/Universal Player
- Apple TV (Fourth Generation, 32 GB)
- Logitech Revue
- Oppo HM-31 3×1 Advanced HDMI Switch
- Walker Audio E-SST Contact Enhancer
- Walker Audio Ultra Vivid DVD/SACD/CD Enhancer (06/2009 formulation)
The home theater system is housed in our great room. The dimensions are 18′ wide by 24′ long, with a peaked and vaulted ceiling that’s 16′ high at the center of the lengthwise room line. The fireplace forces a “shift left” of the High Definition TV and the L/C/R playback, a necessary compromise that skews the sound somewhat, but still allows for a satisfying home theater/surround sound experience.
Robinson’s Computer/Internet-based Music System
- Home Network has been upgraded to 300 mbps for maximum Internet performance via Comcast
- Dell Precision T7600 workstation, Windows 7 Ultimate, Blu Ray R/W and DVD R/W optical drive, Realtek 192kHz PCM audio, dual Intel 6 Core processors, 64 GB ECC RAM, 3 TB RAID 1 hard drive array with multiple external 3, 4, and 5 TB USB 3.0 hard drives
- Dell Precision T7400 workstation, Windows Vista Ultimate, Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D), Intel Xeon Quad Core, 4 GB ECC RAM, 300 GB 15K RPM SAS RAID1
- HP Pavilion DV8t notebook computer, Windows 10, nVidia+Altec Lansing Sound, Intel i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 480 GB Solid-State Drive (SSD), 18.4″ 16×9 display supporting 1080p (true Blu Ray), Blu Ray R/W, DVD+/-RW, and CD-RW
- Music Server is Aurender W-20 reference MS system
- darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated amplifier
- MBL C51 integrated amplifier
- Playback Designs IPS-3 integrated amplifier with Quad DSD DAC
- Oppo Digital BDP-103 Darbee Edition with Playback Designs OpBox PLink adapter for ST Glass output to the IPS-3 DSD DAC
- ALO Studio Six tubed reference headphone amplifier
- Oppo Digital HA-1 headphone amplifier and Quad DSD DAC
- Mytek Manhattan Quad DSD DAC and Preamp
- Oppo BDP-105 Universal Player with ModWright Tube Modification with Custom MWI Reference and Truth power cable, Power Supply 9.9 with custom large tube chassis opening and Phillips 5R4GYS rectifier tube upgrade, dual Bybee Rail mods, and Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX.
- Teac Esoteric DV-60 Universal Player (used mainly for SACD)
- Astell & Kern AK380 and AK240 Portable Double DSD/PCM high resolution Player
- Korg MR-2 portable DSD recorder
- Furutech GT-40 USB DAC
- Evolution Acoustics MMMicro One loudspeakers with Wave Kinetics isolation feet
- Skogrand Cables SC Beethoven reference loudspeaker cables
- Skogrand Cables SC Beethoven reference power cables
- Nova Audio Ovation (two-way Scanspeak) speakers
- Furutech Daytona 303 Line Conditioner
- Furutech GTX-D 20A high-end Duplex AC Receptacle
- Furutech GTX Wall Plate
- Furutech Duplex AC Cover Plate 104-D
- Furutech Fl-20 Power Cable
- Kubala-Sosna Realization reference USB cable
- PranaWire Photon USB Cable, upgraded version
- Audioquest Diamond USB 2.0 cable
- Nordost Blue Heaven USB 2.0 data cable
- Cynosure USB reference cable by Locus Design
- Furutech deStat
- Four (4) Seagate 3 TB USB 3.0/2.0 hard disc drives, two (2) Seagate 4 TB USB 3.0/2.0 hard disk drives